Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Remembering Dad & Celebrating Mothers

We were lucky enough to have Adrea and Tim staying with us last week. They flew in on the 1st and had a wedding to go to on the 2nd, after watching Wyatt's soccer game. On Sunday, we gathered with my family at RJ's in St Augusta to remember Dad, who passed away a year ago on May 2nd. We hope to make than an annual tradition.
 
The Jeske Clan

Alyssa had teddy bears made from Dad's old shirts made for each of the kids. Gavin took his right to bed, but he was bothered that it didn't have a face.

I added button eyes and before I could add a nose and mouth with thread, Gavin decided to add a Crayola smile to his bear. He sure looks happy.
 
Tim & Adrea were here all week and it was fun to spend so much time with them. They got to see some baseball and more soccer, play some scrabble, and eat way too much.
 
On Saturday Alyssa, Joe, Maddie, Isaac, and Grandma came down to stay in Chanhassen so we'd all be ready to do the Race for the Cure early on Sunday. The kids all got to play for a while at our house and then swim in their hotel pool.
 
Sunday morning the runners (Adrea, Tim, Alyssa, Maddie, Isaac, Jacob, Gavin, and myself) got up early for a 7:30 am "race" start. I ran with Gavin, we ran the whole first mile and then a bit after that Gavin asked to walk. I was worried about keeping up with him, so I was happy to do some walking. I guess I just slowed to a walk though, which didn't necessarily mean Gavin was walking. At about 2.5 miles Gavin said "Mom, can we walk now so that I can walk." So we slowed down for a bit before running in for the finish. Tim got to keep track of Jacob and Isaac during the run and worked with them on pacing. Adrea and Maddie stayed pretty close to the pack of boys. Alyssa passed Gavin and I before mile 2 and we never caught her.
 
Me and my runners.
 
The whole running gang. 
 
The walkers - Mom, Joe, Fred & Wyatt met us for the 1k walk at 9:15 am. We think the course was longer than 1k and Gavin's legs were about worn out by then, so I got to do some strength training during that walk as Wyatt was already riding Fred's shoulders. 

Team Live for Dessert
 
The reason I attempt to run.
 
We got a table at The Cheesecake Factory after the walk and enjoyed a delicious breakfast and a few pieces of cheesecake.
 
The weather held for the morning and then turned rainy on our way home. Perfect reason to nap on Mother's Day. The boys had piano and came home with an ice cream cake for me. I also got my own pink basketball and baseball glove, so I can keep pace with the boys.

No comments: