Thursday, May 22, 2014

Surgery & Recovery

I've been growing a goiter for about a year and a half now, and feeling quite old about the whole deal. Fred noticed a lump on my neck in December of 2012. I had it biopsied and it was benign, but it kept growing and was at the point that it needed to come out before it impeded my ability to breathe or (heaven forbid) my ability to swallow/eat. So on Tuesday I had half of my thyroid removed. The surgery went well, the lump appeared benign (they'll do further pathology to confirm that) and they left the right half in there to hopefully pick up the slack. After surgery I was slow to come to and they apparently had a schedule to keep at the U, so despite my attempts to lay back down and go back to sleep they continued to prod me along and get me out the door by 2 PM, after and 8:15 AM scheduled surgery, which must have started closer to 8:45 at the earliest. 

My mom came down on Monday afternoon to stay with my boys and get them off to school on Tuesday and then take care of me on Wednesday and Thursday. Thankfully the recovery was quite easy and we did some shopping yesterday and enjoyed watching Jacob and Gavin during their track and field day at school today. I have one more day off which will include breakfast with friends, before the three day weekend.

1 comment:

Kitty said...

That is very scary gal! Hope you have a speedy recovery.