I was home alone with the boys, actually feeding Wyatt on the couch at the time of the crash, who then got flopped on the couch to scream while Gavin screamed in pain and Jacob cried in regret and sent himself to his room. I knew I needed to get to the emergency room and I knew taking all three of them would be a nightmare, so I called on my sister Adrea, whom we had just left after the Santa adventure. I just said "I need you, I need to take Gavin to the emergency room" and she put down the bottles she wanted to purchase at the liquor store and was on her way. While I waited for her to arrive I got some ice on Gavin's head while he drank some milk and I feed Wyatt a bit. By the time Adrea arrived, Gavin's head wasn't gushing anymore and I think only Jacob was still crying. I took Gavin to the emergency room and left Jacob and Wyatt with Adrea.
The emergency room receptionist was sure Gavin would need to be sedated for stitches and so she made us wait 3 hours before getting called back, since Gavin had had milk and if they sedate it needs to be at least 3 hours after eating or drinking. When we got back into the treatment room, sedating was never mentioned (so our waiting was for not). They "numbed" the cut with a topical numbing liquid applied by a cotton swab. That in itself was horrifying to me and Gavin, who had fallen asleep finally and was awoken by a nurse firmly dabbing this stinking liquid onto his wound, was apparently horrified as well. After he recovered from the "numbing" they came in, strapped him to a stabalization board (papoose board), and then put in the 5 stitches. I'm not sure if the numbing helped at all, he still thrashed and screamed through that too. This was a minor injury and I don't know how I will be able to handle anything of a larger nature, that was enough for me.
need a bigger sleigh and more reindeer.
Sorry if you have a weak stomach, this is how I knew it needed stitches.
This is what he looked on Sunday after the crash.On Sunday morning Jacob sang at church with his Joyful Sounds choir. Here is a short clip from his performance. I wasn't aware that he was suppose to be warming up with the choir prior to the performance, so I just shoved him in the line as the were walking up the aisle to perform. So he was a little unsure and unrehearsed.


2 comments:
Amber -- I cried for you when I read this. But you are right, when stitches are needed you will just know.
Oh Amber!! :( I am so glad your sister was able to come over right away to help watch the kids! That is SO tough being home with more kids then your arms can hold at one time!
And no the numbing cream doesnt work! Natalie had to get stitches in her knee not last summber but the summer before and she wailed through the hole thing (the needle going in and coming out on each stitch). I know how hard it is to sit there and watch that!
What an eventful Friday you had!
Post a Comment